In this insightful podcast interview, James Ashenhurst shares his journey to become self-employed as an online Organic Chemistry tutor.
You’ll hear his trials, errors, and successes. You’ll also hear exactly what made James so successful and how you can apply those same things to your online business.
And, you’ll get real-world insight into what it takes, and how long it takes, and how to build your empire one logical step at a time.
Listen to the podcast.
More About James Ashenhurst
His favorite subject in college was organic chemistry, but his poor grade in the course convinced him for years that he was too “dumb” to ever succeed in it. After nearly dropping out of science altogether, he rediscovered his passion during a year of travel, going on to earn his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from McGill University, a
postdoctoral fellowship at MIT, and a widely cited paper in the journal Science. In 2010 he founded Master Organic Chemistry, a web resource devoted to making organic chemistry concepts more accessible and intuitive for undergraduate students.
- James’ first business blog was a total failure.
- He started his current site low-tech with a $200 investment.
- For the first six months he poached students on forums while blogging to build his authority and SEO.
- He met his first goal, to be self-employed and work from home.
- He introduced his first product at the right time for the right reason.
- As demand increased, he scaled by starting a member site.
- More traffic meant a new host, and taking better care of the site.
- After two years, James became more interested in SEO, and it worked.
- James has stopped trading dollars for hours and is aligning his business to help even more students at a time.