WordPress Plugin Recommendations
Plugins are the beauty and bane of WordPress.
See my top picks, ones to stay away from, and plugin tutorials.
The following plugins are on every site I create for myself and my clients.
See the Plugins section on the Helpful Posts page for more plugin posts and tutorials.
Here you will find the plugins I use and recommend most to my clients. Some have reviews and/or video tutorials too. Most are free, some are premium, and some are my affiliate links, which is one way I support bringing all the great info on BlogAid to you free. I appreciate you using them.
Do you know of a plugin I need to check out? Contact me directly and tell me why.
Note to plugin developers – I’ll be happy to give your plugin an honest evaluation, and will only include it on this wall if it is top notch and a good fit for my readers, who trust me to tell them the truth.
Affiliate Links: This page contains affiliate links for some plugins. I earn a small commission when you purchase through them. Your use of my affiliate links helps offset the cost of the deep research I do to bring you reviews and testimonials for free Thank you for supporting BlogAid. I only endorse products I and my clients use with success!
◊ my top pick
◊ Formidable Forms – can create most any form you need, fully customizable, fast, and GDPR compliant – see my tour and tutorial
◊ Gravity Forms – Fully customize unlimited forms, integrates with other services, advanced features
◊ Email Address Encoder – hides your published email address from spam bots
◊ WP-Optimize – safely cleans meta comments and post revisions from the database
◊ WP All Export – export site data into spreadsheet – see review
PDF & Print
◊ Blubrry PowerPress – creates proper iTunes support, multiple players, integrates with multiple storage services
◊ Yoast SEO – complete site SEO, XML Sitemap, Open-Graph, and more
◊ Login LockDown – prevents brute force attacks
Social Follow / Share
◊ Scriptless Social Sharing – not fancy, but super light, no share counts – see the tutorial
◊ Social Pug – free and paid version – see my review and tutorial
Also see my case study on the best and worst social share plugins – free and paid
Thank you for using my affiliate link for Social Pug!
◊ S3 Media Maestro – hides full path of videos stored on AS3, fully responsive and customizable premium player
Following are plugins that I either used to recommend and have changed and are not good anymore, or plugins that I frequently see in site audits that cause real issues.
- Akismet – doesn’t work well and clogs your database with orphaned trash – see Comments section above
- BackupBuddy – resource hog and unstable – use UpdraftPlus
- Control Revisions – it still works, but may not be updated much longer, switch to hard coding in wp-config
- Google XML Sitemaps – don’t need it if you use Yoast SEO
- Heartbeat Control – it still works, but may not be updated much longer, switch to hard coding in wp-config
- Related Posts – resource hog, as are all others like it
- Shareaholic – evil, puts ad code on your site and has been ripped out of the plugins repo 4 times for injecting malicious code.
- Simple Share Buttons Adder – used to be a top pick, got bought, now cookie tracks visitors who share your stuff
- Social Warfare – too unstable
- SumoMe – resource hog, there are plenty of other optin plugins to use
- W3TC – unstable and too tricky to configure
- WP Super Cache – doesn’t work as well as other caching plugins – if you run ads and this is who they recommend, I have a better way for you that is sanctioned by them